Saturday, February 16, 2008

Romance in Vermont

Last winter (2007) I really got the winter blues in Boston. Jeffrey and I decided it would be fun to spend a weekend away - get out of the city - and find a moderately priced bed & breakfast in New Hampshire or Vermont that had fireplaces and all that fun stuff. Then we started looking at the nightly prices and came to the conclusion that it was just too much and most weekends were already booked anyway.

I'd kind-of forgotten about our northeast b&b plan until, this past November, Jeffrey mentioned that he found one at luxurylink.com and he thought we should bid on it (check out luxurylink.com if you've never seen it before - you can get great deals there). So we bid on a package for us to stay at the Juniper Hill Inn in Windsor, Vermont - and we won it! We ended up booking 3 nights for last weekend (Feb. 7-10) - it's a coincidence that it was right before Valentine's Day but we definitely didn't feel the need to celebrate last Thursday because this trip was the epitome of romance and relaxation!

Our schedule consisted of eating an AMAZING breakfast every morning (included in the price - I had the best raspberry pancakes I've ever eaten in my life) where we usually took the seat in front of the fireplace, reading in front of the fire in our room, touring around Windsor, Woodstock, and Quechee, buying cheese and maple syrup at Sugarbush Farms, eating again (we ate a lot), going snowshoeing, and drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies while spending our evenings playing Scrabble and doing puzzles in the house library. The inn we stayed in (juniperhillinn.com) is very old with a long history and we also got a great tour of the home from our host, Robert.

This may sound boring to some - but it was super fun for us (see pictures at the end of this post). We needed the break, seeing as the next couple of months are going to be crazy for both of us. Jeffrey takes his dental licensure exam next weekend in Chapel Hill and I'm going down as well to help him transport his patients and such. The following weekend I'm flying back down to the Triangle to go to a shower/bachelorette party for Susan (my college roommate), two more showers/parties around Boston the next weekend for my friend Brooke (who now lives in Colorado), visiting Lindsey Blanton over Easter (best friend from childhood) in Nashville, TN because she just had her baby on Feb. 13 (Harper Grace!!!! Yay!!!), Brooke's wedding the first weekend in April in Denver, CO, our church-wide retreat the following weekend, Susan's wedding April 19 in Raleigh, NC, the we get a little break until I go to NYC with my girls (Beth, Trista, and Jenny) for fun and debauchery (just kidding, Mom & Jeffrey) and Jeffrey graduates from dental school May 18th. Whew. I'm tired from writing that.

This list also doesn't include Jeffrey finishing up procedures on current patients so that he can graduate or the numerous social events we attend (we're popular, so there are many of them, of course. j/k - we have good friends - they make us feel very loved even though we're not that much fun). Our daily life fits in there somewhere as well. And Jeffrey and I thought we could fit a 3 week trip in there to go backpacking in Nepal after he graduates ... I think that trip is going to have to wait little while, for sure :-)

Also, congrats ML and Chris on the birth of Harper! I can't wait to meet her! Until next post ...








4 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crystal!! can i just tell you that you and jeffery's marriage makes me so excited to get married? it looks like you are having an amazing time, and i loved reading all of your posts. :)

oh, and you will absolutely fall in love with little harper when you visit! she is such a tiny cute baby!

your long lost other younger sister,
nancy <><

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Mary Lindsey said...

Soooooo ULTRA cozy!!! I love the fireplace picture... That place looks so amazing! I want to be there! Love you

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I found your blog through Sara Turner's!!! Yay!!! I have missed you friend, and am so glad that you are doing well. I cannot believe that you all have been married for 4 years, have taken such incredible trips, and that Jeffrey will be graduating in May! Amazing! Loved catching up on your lives through your blog- Please put pictures up of your time with ML and Harper:)

Hope to see you again soon! Happy EAster!

Love,
Tara

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger leah said...

What a fun trip you guys had the chance to do! The fireplace picture makes me laugh..you guys are too cute! Loved the pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home