Thursday, May 29, 2008

Last days in Boston ...

Yet another way overdue post - but no one can blame us because the past few months of our lives have been CRAZY!

Jeffrey GRADUATED!!! I'm so proud of him (sort-of feel like I'm his mother at times) and still can't believe he made it through 4 years of incredibly hard work. He's actually been officially done since the end of April. You may all now refer to him as "Dr. Jeff West, DMD." I think back to that first semester when he would come home from Gross Anatomy smelling like formaldehyde ... and let's just say that he's come a long, long way.

And for other inquiring minds ... yes, we are moving. Moving to Chapel Hill on June 7, living with my parents and brother for a little over a week, then moving into a Glen Lennox apartment on June 19. Jeffrey will be working for Howarth Family Dental Center in Raleigh (http://www.howarthdental.com) and I'll be working remotely at home, still with Brightcove. We haven't yet sold our condo in Boston but we're hoping for the best. Everything sort-of came together during Susan's wedding weekend (April 19th) though it took quite a while for Jeffrey to decide which job to take and then to negotiate the contract. I hope to post again and add photos from Susan and Ryan's wedding and other fun events later.

We are very excited about moving back home and being closer to family but there's so much about Boston and the Northeast that we will miss. It's already been incredibly hard saying goodbye to friends and reflecting on the wonderful past 4 years here. I think fear and sadness concerning change are pretty universal so there's no need to dwell on those things here. Suffice it to say that through our many mixed emotions Jeffrey and I are both overwhelmed with thankfulness for the past 4 years of our marriage - we have learned so much from Boston and from those we met in Boston - and we hope that we have given back just as much as we've received. When we are saddened by the thought of leaving our Boston family we are encouraged, too, by all that we have to look forward to in NC.

I have a dance performance this Friday and Saturday (blocking was Wed. night and dress rehearsal is tonight) and we are planning on helping Tim and Trista pack their van on Sat. morning (they are moving to Wilmington, NC). We have an open house on Sunday and, after that, we'll probably start packing! I've added just a few photos below from the past month or so - mostly graduation and 'going-away' events. The next time we post we may actually be in NC.

Thanks for all the memories, Boston. You've taught us how to live in 340 sq. ft., order groceries online, try new food, walk EVERYWHERE, squish into subway cars, layer our clothing, buy only what we really need, and appreciate all that our melting-pot country has to offer. We've learned to love better, judge less, read more, eat healthier, and give without holding back. This city truly is a wonderful place.

4 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger leah said...

YEAH!!! I'm so glad that you guys are moving back to NC! It sounds like you all have had such a great experience living in Boston! Congrats and I hope to see you soon next time we are in town!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Congratulations, Dr. West! What a mighty fine robe you had on:) And congratulations on getting a job!

We are so excited that you are moving back to NC!!!! Wahoo! What a wonderful time you have had in Boston- times that you will never forget!

I hope we'll be able to see you soon!!!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Mama Cass said...

I am so excited you'll be here soon (or maybe you are now)...Hope we can get together very soon to catch up!!! I've been waiting for you to come back ever since you moved ;-).

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger The Schreibman Family said...

Congratulations to both of you! North Carolina welcomes you back home with open arms!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home